8 days and 7 nights
The challenging tour takes us into the Swedish mountains (Fjälls) and gives a good insight into the handling of highly trained sled dogs that are used for races like the famous Iditarod Race in Alaska.
This tour takes us through untouched fell landscapes and Swedish national parks for a week. We prepare the food ourselves and spend the night in Sami tents (so-called kotas) or simple huts. Hopefully the northern lights will dance in the nights, which will definitely make the tour an unforgettable experience.
The tour is led and guided by Mats Pettersson whenever possible or by a member of his crew. Mats himself has successfully participated in the famous race from Anchorage to Nome (1,850 kilometers) many times. More than any other musher who does not live in the USA. He has participated several times in the Finnmarkslöpet, the longest sled dog race in Europe.
The adventure begins with dinner on the first evening at the kennel and you will have a chance to familiarize yourself with your guide, who will give you all the information about the trip and wil be more than happy to answer any questions you have. Mats and your guide know the area as well as the meteorological conditions so the adventurous week in one of the best musher areas will be a unique experience. This night you stay overnight at the kennel.
Today we will take the time to get you to know the equipment that we will be using, the dog sled and of course the individual dogs of the team.
Day 3 – 8
Six days of dog sledding through untouched fell landscapes, national parks and along the famous Kungsleden trail. We will prepare our own food and spend the night in Sami tents (so-called kotas) or simple cabins. During the nights hopefully the northern lights will dance above us, which will definitely make the tour an unforgettable experience. You will lead your own team of 6 to 7 dogs. After returning to the kennel a last fine dinner will be prepared, and it is possible to enjoy the sauna at the kennel afterwards.
- Requirements for this tour experience in mushing and physical fitness
- For the more adventurous among you, we offer the opportunity to spend a night out in the wilderness where, with a bit of luck, you can experience the northern lights up close. All necessary information and the appropriate equipment for an unforgettable night out in the wilderness are available on request.
-On the tour you are responsible for your dog team and help with the care and supervision of the dogs
- As our programs are dependent on the weather, we reserve the right to change the course of the daily programs
- Prerequisite of the execution of the journey is the participation of at least 4 people to a maximum of 6 people
Services included in the program
- 2 nights in 2-4 bedded rooms at the kennel, with shared toilets and showers
- Overnight stays in a simple hut (common sleeping room on mattresses or bunk beds)
- 1 overnight stay in a comfortable hut
- Full board (breakfast, simple lunch, dinner, soft drinks)
- Dog sled team for each person with about 4 dogs
- Mushing jacket, trousers and boots
What you have to take with you
- Ski jacket, ski pants and winter boots
- Warm cap, possibly made of fur
- Finger gloves (wool) for working with the dogs
- Thick warm mittens for mushing
- Slippers or hut shoes
- Warm woolen socks
- Warm underwear
- Headlamps or flashlight, batteries if necessary